 |
| I'm coming |
Today I wired up our old dog kennel in hopes of getting the chicks outside in a pen. So after putting down 36" chicken wire all along the bottom I picked two chicks and put them in a puppy crate and left the door open. Eventually they came out and started doing what chickens do, explore. It was a little hot and stressful for them but they sat in the shade for a bit. I went inside the house to get something and heard a chicken squawk. I ran out and the white one was missing! I couldn't believe it. I grabbed the Barred Rock and put her back in the brooder and searched all over for the Lakenvelder. The grass is so tall and we have a wood pile etc. she could be anywhere. I was very upset thinking great fox bait. But I went on with things and just kept an ear open for the telltale peep.
Well at 8:30 pm I heard the peep and went looking. Here she was back in the kennel and in the dog crate, peeping for her friends! I could hardly believe it that she would figure out how to return to a place she was maybe in for an hour at most! Chickens are pretty smart. I gathered her up and took her to husband and said look who's returned as I snuggled and kissed her! I was so worried! She is now safely back in the brooder with the rest. In the meantime I need to figure out how she got out!
No comments:
Post a Comment