Thursday, June 7, 2012

Garden Started


I got two boxes built for my raised beds and now I am like how do I fill them?  Each needs 11 sq. ft. of dirt!  I thought oh I'll just take it out of the garden but there is so much quack grass that I hate to start the boxes off growing quack.  So I started sifting dirt via my hillbilly sifter and after 10 scoops decided it will take me a week to sift that much times two.  My husband says he can get screened topsoil for $10 so we'll go that direction.

I did up some rows and I think I will leave the rest for the vine crops.  I'll look it over tomorrow and decide.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! For my two raised beds, I used the soil "recipe" given in the square foot gardening method by I believe Mel Bartholomew (sp?). I didn't follow it to a "T" and there is still plenty of depth available in my raised boxes, as I didn't fill them full either. Basic ingredients were sand (I used my dirt, it's sandy enough to count), perlite, compost, I think lime...and peat moss. Whatever it is, it is like greenhouse soil, it is light & airy and seems to keep the weeds down too, or at least easy to pull!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that. I looked up the recipe and am going to use it as a guide.

    ReplyDelete